We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Building Engineer will receive general supervision and direction from the Property Manager(s), Director of Engineering and the Chief Engineer. The Building Engineer will comply with established policies and procedures and will not take action contrary to such guidelines without approval from the Chief Engineer, Director of Engineering and/or Property Manager. In the absence of the any of the above personnel, the Building Engineer will solicit advice from the Vice President of Management Services or President.
The Building Engineer is responsible for the general administrative functions and physical operations of his or her assigned building(s). He or she will provide efficient mechanical operations and carry out preventative maintenance programs to insure preservation and upkeep of the buildings equipment. The position will also be responsible for the daily supervision of the Assistant Engineer, Maintenance Assistant and/or Day Porter assigned to his/her building(s).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform and/or oversee the day-to-day efficient operation, maintenance and repair of all building and site systems for assigned properties. Building systems include but are not limited to HVAC, electrical, lighting, plumbing, energy management, water treatment, hardware, keying and fire protection.
- Perform, assist in or oversee the installation, fabrication construction, troubleshooting and repair or maintenance of complex mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Assist in the monitoring of contractors, inspecting work and generating deficiency lists.
- Follow inspection and service procedures outlined in the preventative maintenance and loss controls programs.
- Accurately complete tenant requests, repairs work and related records for the respective site/buildings as required.
- Regularly inspect and communicate to the appropriate parties all areas of the site/building(s) and report deficiencies as well as suggestions for improvements and take initiative to correct as appropriate.
- Maintain logs on daily activities and events as required.
- Available for various shifts, to fill in for other staff, and to work extended hours, nights weekends and holidays to ensure adequate building coverage and perform necessary repairs as needed. Respond to after hour emergencies such as fire, flooding, severe weather (including but not limited to snow and ice removal) power outage and other related situations including clean-up activities per on-call procedures or as requested in critical situations.
- Required to perform other related duties as assigned, including but not limited to fulfilling the duties assigned to the Day Porter, Maintenance Assistant or Assist Engineer in their absence.
- Maintains a composed, friendly demeanor, professional appearance and possess effective interpersonal relationship skills, as well as the ability to communicate in a confident, positive, professional manner to tenants, employees, visitors and vendors.
- The on call schedule for the Engineers assigned building will be Monday thru Thursday from 4:00 P.M. TO 7:00 A.M. the following day. The on call weekend rotation will be from 4:00 P.M. Friday thru 7:00 A.M. Monday.
- A minimum of 4 to 6 years as a Maintenance Technician/Building Engineer or equivalent field experience required including a working knowledge of commercial office building systems.
- Comprehensive Training and certification in HVAC and other technologies related to building engineering and/or equivalent job related training and experience.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision in a fast paced environment and deal effectively with multiple, simultaneous deadlines and projects.
- Strong technical and problem solving abilities including those related to mechanical controls and Building Automation systems.
- Intermediate skills necessary to operate computer for general day to day work and communications.